If you are looking to add some lean muscle and definition to your quads there aren’t many better exercises than the Hack Squat. When performed correct, this simple movement has the potential to carve out some sexy thighs that will beg to be revealed instead of being hidden under those jogging pants.
But you have to know how to perform this movement with proper form, and here’s how…
1. Begin by resting the cushion of the shoulder pads comfortably on your shoulders while facing away from the machine.
2. Typically you can place your feet in a variety of positions on the platform to target different areas of the thighs, but today we want to focus on the quads so you will want to place your feet about 6 to 8 inches apart and towards the lower end of the platform.
In this picture my wife Angie “The Fit Chic” performs the standard Hack Squat
3. Keep your back pressed firmly against the cushion and lower your body while inhaling until your butt nearly touches your calves.
Note: Keep your heels pressed firmly against the platform at all times.
4. Here is the key ingredients which separate a great Hack Squat from a crappy one. On the way up I want you to visualize someone facing you and pushing on your knees to drive them towards the back of the machine.
It seems natural for people to try to use their back or upper thighs to push themselves up. Instead of trying to thrust yourself up, focus on driving those knees back. This will automatically cause you to move up and you will feel the isolation of the quads.
Again, do not allow your heels to come off the platform and keep your back pressed firmly against the cushion. Exhale while you are driving yourself back up to the starting position.
5. Do not lock out at the top. Instead, stop yourself just short of full extension. This way your legs are under constant tension. It won’t take very long for you to feel the burn when you don’t allow any rest by locking out at the top.
1. Slow down the tempo and take 5 seconds on the way down and 5 seconds on the way up.
2. Only come up 3/4 of the way. Oh ya! You bet you’ll feel that burn.
Now go give it a shot and tell me what ya think!
Scott Tousignant, BHK, CFC is the creator of Unstoppable Fat Loss… “Empower Your Mind… And Your Body Will Follow”. Scott has also authored 2 books that are transforming the bodies of people around the world. The Fit Chic and The Fit Bastard not only contain a FULL YEAR of workouts, they provide intense motivation to drive you to fat loss success.