A comprehensive new report warns that medical evidence is stronger than ever that excess body fat increases a person’s risk for numerous cancers and provides this list of 10 recommendations for preventing cancer.
The report by the American Institute for Cancer Research and the World Cancer Research Fund says there is also convincing evidence linking consumption of alcohol, red meat and processed meat to elevated cancer risk.
I have very little trust in any cancer research and especially any groups asking for donations for cancer research. In my opinion, it’s all just a big game of fund raising without any expectation of results. There’s more money in fund raising than cures.
However, the cancer prevention recommendations provided by the Diet and Cancer Report are sound and I’m happy to provide them for comments
10 Recommendations For Preventing Cancer
- Be as lean as possible within the normal range of body weight
- Be physically active as part of everyday life (see the 10,000 steps a day walking program)
- Limit consumption of energy-dense foods high in fat and sugar but low in fibre. Avoid sugary drinks
- Eat mostly foods of plant origin
- Limit intake of red meat and avoid processed meat
- Limit alcoholic drinks
- Limit consumption of salt
- Aim to meet nutritional needs through diet alone
- Breastfeed your children; it’s healthy for both mom and kids.
- If you’re a cancer survivor, follow the recommendations for cancer prevention