Dr. Joshi's 21 Day Detox Diet

Atkins, Fit for Life, Jenny Craig, LA Weight Loss, Weight Watchers – there are almost as many weight loss programs as people who want to lose weight! Sharing our experiences here will help us all get a handle on the wealth of information — and misinformation — out there.

Dr. Joshi's 21 Day Detox Diet

Postby Michele on Tue May 29, 2007 6:47 am

I started the Dr. Joshi's 21 Day Detox Diet yesterday (Monday May 28th). This diet is focused on detoxing with some possible weight loss. I am hoping for both! :lol:

This diet is based on avoiding acidic, toxic and refined foods, allowing your body to flush out the toxins and alters the pH balance from acid to alkaline.
Foods to avoid
Red meat
Dairy produce
Fruit, except bananas
Wheat, gluten and yeast
Alcohol
Nuts
Potatoes
Jams and spreads
Coffee and tea, except herbal
Sugar, chocolate and sweets
Artificially produced flavorings, such as ketchup, vinegar and mustard

Foods to eat
Herbal Tea
White meat – chicken and turkey
Fish, especially oily but NOT shellfish, tuna or swordfish
Eggs, no more than 3 to 4 a week
Bananas
Brown rice or wild rice (made with chicken stock and carrots)
Buffalo mozzarella, goat’s cheese, ricotta and cottage cheese
Live yoghurt
Dark green vegetables (steam - stir fry), except avocado
Salads, except tomatoes and peppers
Pulses, lentils, chick peas
Gluten free/wheat free cereals and breads
Honey
Olive oil
Garlic, ginger, onions
Hummus, guacamole
Soy milk
Rice milk
Soya and tofu products

DO: Eat fresh food. Go for the freshest you can find -- fruits and vegetables that are in season and have been grown locally. The vitamin and mineral count in these foods will likely be higher than foods that have been shipped from another country or grown in greenhouses.

DON'T: Eat pre-packaged, prepared meals. Not only do these items lack nutrients, but Dr. Joshi also suggests considering the toxins and chemicals in the plastic packaging.

DO: Eat bananas. Preferably organic ones. Bananas offer a slow-release sugar boost to your body.

DON'T: Eat any other fruit. Most of the fruit we buy in grocery stores is picked too early so that it won't be past its prime by the time we get it home. But fruits only reach the desirable alkaline state if they're picked when ripe.

DO: Drink green tea. The high concentration of antioxidants in green tea offers numerous health benefits, from helping your liver to work more efficiently to lowering your blood-sugar and preventing diabetes.

DON'T: Drink alcohol. Most alcohol, such as wine, champagne and beer, is acidic and high in yeast, both of which are bad for your body. Rest assured, once you enter the maintenance portion of the diet after three weeks, you can have small quantities of distilled alcohol, such as gin and vodka.

DO: Start your morning with a glass of warm water and a little fresh lemon juice. Your kidneys will thank you for the flush.

DON'T: Grab a cup of coffee. As wonderful as may be to wake up to freshly brewed coffee, the caffeine will dehydrate you and increase your blood pressure. Even decaffeinated coffee is full of toxins that will interrupt your detox process.

DO: Drink soymilk. Soy provides important amino acids, which are vital for hormone production and essential to boosting your immune system. However, be sure to choose soymilk with added calcium, vitamin A and vitamin D.

DON'T: Drink cow's milk. With lactose intolerance being so widespread, causing bloating, cramps and nausea, Dr. Joshi recommends choosing an alternative.

DO: Drink only a bit of water during meals. Sipping room-temperature water during your meal will aid in digestion and absorption of the nutrients in your food.

DON'T: Consume copious amounts of water during your meal. Too much fluid can dilute the enzymes necessary for proper digestion.

DO: Have a mid-afternoon snack of herbal tea and a gluten-free/wheat-free biscuit.

DON'T: Keep reaching into a bag of biscuits just because the label promotes a "healthy" status. Calories are calories and they will add up.

DO: Host a detox dinner party. Use recipes from Dr. Joshi's book to wow your friends and prove that healthy food can be fabulous food.

DON'T: Beat yourself up if you choose not to resist the cake at your best friend's birthday party. Savor the decadent dessert, acknowledge that you need to re-focus your goals and get back on track.

Although Dr. Joshi's detox diet may take some getting used to, the payoff is a digestive system that works like a charm, glowing skin, and enough get-up-and-go to get the most out of life.

Has anyone else done this detox before? I was not a huge coffee drinker and have not had the headaches that are said to happen in the first few days. My energy is not high but I am not totally drained either. I did sleep through the night last nite (for the first time in a long time). I usually wake up a few times a night.

My weight as of yesterday morning was 188.2lbs. Has anyone else done this detox and lost weight?
-=Michele
6.0 - current morning urine pH level ----- 5.5 original morning urine pH level
Michele

Re: Dr. Joshi's 21 Day Detox Diet

Postby formerfatguy on Tue May 29, 2007 4:42 pm

Michele wrote:DO: Drink green tea. The high concentration of antioxidants in green tea offers numerous health benefits, from helping your liver to work more efficiently to lowering your blood-sugar and preventing diabetes.

I've never heard of Dr Joshi's 21 Day Detox Diet, but anything that can help a person become more alkaline is a good thing. I've been drinking green tea since 1991 and before that I'd never heard of it. I also use only Stevia as a sweetener which also has the benefit of nourishing the pancreas to assist in blood sugar regulation and diabetes prevention. Plus it just tastes so fricken good, well the one I use tastes good.

I especially agree with what Dr Joshi says about Milk!

Michele wrote:DON'T: Drink cow's milk. With lactose intolerance being so widespread, causing bloating, cramps and nausea, Dr. Joshi recommends choosing an alternative.

Giving up... hmmm, bad choice of words... when I stopped drinking milk after learning about it from Harvey Diamond, I've never looked back. There was one time when I was with my girlfriend at the time's daughter, we went to a lake for the day. She was about 6 or 7. She wanted Ice cream and I hadn't had any in a number of years. I decided to have a scoop too. I got a headache and felt like shit. I was driving home and I said out loud "people actually buy this stuff to feel this way?". I felt gross.

I posted Dont Drink Your Milk by Dr Mercola years ago and it gets a lot of views and comments

I had a meeting with my Holistic Doctor last year and I was tested as being TOO alkaline. She asked me to switch up my diet to include MORE acidic foods such as pickles, sauerkraut and Yogurt to my diet. I didn't include the Yogurt, but I did the others. She asked me to have a pickle with every meal. No problem, I love pickles.

What I had never know about was that there is a fine line around our Optimal PH level that affects nutrient absorption. As we become more and more acidic, there are less and less nutrients that can be absorbed. I'll look for the actual info on that and how it works, but the also is true for being TOO alkaline. As we become more and more alkaline, meaning over the optimal range, the same is true for absorption of nutrients. It fascinated me.

I'd sure like to more about Dr Joshi's program
Rob
Forum Administrator and Founder
Once weighing nearly 500 pounds, I went on to drop nearly 300 pounds of fat and gain over 50 pounds of muscle
formerfatguy
Site Admin

Postby Michele on Wed May 30, 2007 2:15 pm

Day three of the detox and I have noticed my skin looks a lot better. I usually have a very oily t-zone and today it is not oily at all - and my pores are smaller...I have not changed my skin care products so could it be the detox? I thought I read somewhere that it improves your skin. I have started taking wheatgrass (as of this morning) so it could be that as well...has anyone else done the detox and noticed an improvement with their skin?

I have been following the detox faithfully and I don't have cravings - even though I have had honey and an organic banana (in a smoothie) once a day. Thought that would spike my blood sugar later in the day but it didn't (the other 2 ingredients in the smoothie is soy milk and live yogurt).
-=Michele
Michele

Postby Rob on Wed May 30, 2007 2:54 pm

That's a great result, but expect it to go the other way soon as well. When you're cleansing, your body will pump out toxins through every possible elimination organ you have. Kidneys, colon, lungs (bad breath) and your largest cleansing organ, the skin.

When changing to to a better diet, the body will cleanse and one of the sure tale signs of that is zits and rashes. When eliminating Candida from your body, it will show up as dry itchy skin and be quite uncomfortable.

I want to hear more of your results with Dr Joshi's program as you progress.
Rob, BTDT, Forum Admin, Author of Fat Loss Fundamentals | Follow me on Twitter
I recommend this Nutritional Cleansing and Fat Burning System for optimal health and longevity.
Rob
Site Admin

Postby Michele on Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:03 am

Well, I am on Day 8 of the 21. I weighed myself this morning and have lost 5lbs (over the last 7 days). Emotionally I am quite happy about that but mentally I am asking is it really possible to lose 5lbs of fat in 7 days? If it is not all fat...what else did I lose? Possibly muscle but I have been eating protein numerous times a day (cod fish and chicken every day)...I have been drinking lots of water and green tea so I doubt I am dehyrdated...I have been walking almost every day as the detox suggests (first thing in the morning for 30 min - after my warm lemon water and wheatgrass) - so I have been exercising a little less than usual...

I was feeling really tired yesterday but I still went for my walk but I didn't do much for the rest of the day - even took an afternoon nap. Food wise I have followed it faithfully - absolutely no cheating...I don't have food cravings but the odd time emotionally I will want comfort food - which I appease with honey on a brown rice cake.

Have I noticed any big changes? My skin still looks clear with small pores on my face (usually large pores especially around my nose) - but is it strange that I should be hoping for a rash? ;) I have the odd little little white head appear on my face but I pop it and it is gone immediately - no red mark left where it was. My skin has been dry lately which is odd because I am in humid weather. Could be what Rob suggested, eliminating Candida from my body...but it is not itchy - yet!

My sleeping has been a hit and miss. I usually wake up around 3am for whatever reason (had too much water before bed, my cat is meowing at the door, or just restless) and it takes me about 30 min to get back to sleep. During the detox, a few nights I slept right through - but most nights, it is the same routine.

I will keep you posted on further results!
-=Michele
Michele

Postby Michele on Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:13 am

Another update:
Yesterday, my throat glands where swollen. It was sore to swallow like having a lump in my throat - not the sore raw feeling...I can only assume this is the detox dealing with some sort of germ/whatever in my lymph nodes? These are lymph nodes I believe (as I am no doctor)...today, they are not as swollen, I had some phlem but not enough to cough up or anything (sorry to be gross but I want others to know what is exactly happening incase they want to do the detox).

Or maybe I have picked up a germ somewhere along the way and my body is fighting it...one can never really know...
-=Michele
Michele

Postby Rob on Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:07 pm

glands are part of the lymph system. During a cleanse, our body begins to dump the toxins. The only way to have the lymph system move is through physical movement. It does not have a pump like the circulatory system has. Rebounding helps move the lymph as does walking or massage. Thats why we get stuffed up during a massage.
Rob, BTDT, Forum Admin, Author of Fat Loss Fundamentals | Follow me on Twitter
I recommend this Nutritional Cleansing and Fat Burning System for optimal health and longevity.
Rob
Site Admin

Postby Michele on Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:30 pm

I did not know that! Here I skipped my walk this morning thinking my body needed the energy to fight this germ/swollen gland thing! I will go for a walk after work today. Thanks for the info!
-=Michele
Michele

Postby Michele on Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:07 am

Day 12: It is the third day that I have swollen glands on my throat. My throat is not raw (like a normal cold would have done by now) but kinda hurts when I swallow because it feels like I am pushing on a lump. I am drinking lots of green tea and water...My throat does feel a bit better then the first day of discomfort...

Believe it or not, I feel good about the swollen glands...it means that this detox is actually doing something. I did the 30 day Smart Cleanse in Jan of this year and really didn't feel much different at the end of it (or anywhere in between). Now, in Smart Cleanses defense, I didn't change my diet like they suggest - so I probably didn't give it a fair chance. I also like this 21 day detox because I am not popping any unknown pills - it is based on eating certain foods...

I am passed the half way mark and still truckin' on...
-=Michele
Michele

Postby Michele on Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:57 am

Day 15: I have lost another pound (so 6lbs in total over a 14 day period). I didn't walk as much as I did the first week but I am happy with a one pound loss.

My skin is dry and I have been irritable for the last 4 days (not so irritable today - I think). I had a headache yesterday...just couldn't seem to shake it - it is pretty much gone today.

I have not strayed from the detox although it was hard this weekend. I wanted to eat some potato chips...I didn't but I sure thought about it A LOT! Only 7 days left...
-=Michele
Michele

Next

Return to Weight Loss Methods