The Healthy Pantry.

What's in the food we eat? Which foods are most nutritious and which ones aren't?

The Healthy Pantry.

Postby onesmartcookie on Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:37 am

I'm curious to know what's in your pantry right now. I know I have opportunities! What are some of your key staples.

Here's mine:

Dried Lentils. Brown.
Couscous.
Quinoa. Red.
Egg Noodles. (They're on their way out)
Brown Rice.
White kidney beans.
Organic Blueberry Bars.
Canned tuna and salmon
Ryvita
Polenta
Canned tomatoes
Canned lentil soup
Pickles
Oysters
Rice Milk
Instant Oatmeal
Canned Pineapple
Whole wheat pasta
Spaghetti Sauce
Wasa Crackers
Refried Beans
Optimum Cereals
Wasabi Peas
Ketchup
Microwave Popcorn

I'm looking for some healthy ideas for spices. Help?
http://onesmartcookiesjourney.blogspot.com/

"The whole point of being alive is to evolve into the complete person you were intended to be. "
onesmartcookie

Re: The Healthy Pantry.

Postby photogirl67 on Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:04 pm

onesmartcookie wrote:I'm curious to know what's in your pantry right now. I know I have opportunities! What are some of your key staples.

Here's mine:

Dried Lentils. Brown.
Couscous.
Quinoa. Red.

You can also try:

- red lentils
- french lentils
- whole wheat couscous

Egg Noodles. (They're on their way out)

to be replaced or eliminated? Try: whole wheat pasta, soy pasta or spaghetti squash

Brown Rice.

excellent - I have 3 varieties of it, sweet brown, long grain and short grain. All taste different.

White kidney beans.

canned or dried? try moving towards more dried. Takes more thinking ahead but isn't much work really. You just soak them in water overnight - cook them for an hour (beans vary) - then put into recipes.

I also have:
- chick peas (use these for hummus)
- black beans (Asian and regular ones)
- black eyes peas
- fava beans
- aduki beans
- split peas
- red beans
- kidney beans

Organic Blueberry Bars.
Canned tuna and salmon

what are the bars? check what's in them? just because it's organic doesn't mean its good for you.
- anything processed will be acidic - bars like that are processed

tuna and salmon - in water or oil?
- I use tuna sometimes. There will be a recipe on the blog for pasta sauce with tuna soon

Ryvita
Polenta

I buy Ryvita crackers too, also:
- manna bread in my freezer
- almond butter
- dried figs, dates, apricots (but I'm a sugar burner, is not good for a fat burner - need to know which you are)
- raw almonds
- other nuts like walnuts, cashews (sparingly), raw pumpkin seeds (refridgerate), sunflower seeds (raw unsalted), flax seeds (keep in fridge) sesame seeds, hemp hearts (fridge)

Polenta cooked and prepared - or cornmeal?

Canned tomatoes
Canned lentil soup

I try to use as much not in cans as possible. If getting canned for convenience - check for sugar, salt and preservatives content. They are a better choice than say hamburger and fries - but if you can make your own, that's the next step.

Pickles
Oysters
Rice Milk

- make sure oysters aren't in oil
- check rice milk for sugar content - get the unsweetened ones or almond milk (is naturally sweeter)
- pickles can be okay but watch out because they are very acid forming in the body. If you are already toxic (you are if you have arthritis) they will not support you in healing. When you are stronger and healthier then in moderation have a few - but if you want to get more alkaline and heal I'd skip them.

Instant Oatmeal

- do you cook it in the microwave? how much fibre does it have? added sugar or salt?
- instant is highly processed (precooked) which kills many nutrients, then the microwave kills the rest - if that is what you have now you aren't feeding yourself much except fibre - so eat the box and it is the same for nutrients.
- a better choice is regular oatmeal - or even better is steal cut oats - better yet is the whole grain cooked.
- I buy the Red Mills 8 grain hot cereal - has no wheat, is great. Ready in 15 minutes

Canned Pineapple

for cooking? go fresh when you can get it for any produce. I buy very little canned fruits/veggies or anything really. Tomatoes, tomato paste and the odd can of beans to use in a panic.

Whole wheat pasta
Spaghetti Sauce

what kind of sauce? I do buy one jar of organic stuff - watch the salt and sugar in them.
- check the pasta for how many grams of fibre. a good whole wheat one should be at least 6-8 grams per serving (make sure is a realistic serving size too, that's how they trick you lots of times) check ingredients for white flour or "enriched" flour which is also white flour. They can call it "whole wheat" if they use some only - doesn't have to be all whole wheat. watch for tricks.

Refried Beans

these are VERY bad! they are made with LARD! get rid of these - get some black beans or red beans instead. Dried is better.

Wasa Crackers
Optimum Cereals

haven't heard of either of these
- I pretty much got rid of all boxed cereals - I eat plain granola and the Mills hot cereal, or cook whole grains

Wasabi Peas
Ketchup
Microwave Popcorn

- wasabi peas good
- ketchup, watch for sugar and salt - it's high in both unless you get one from Planet organic. all condiments are processed and therefore acidic though. watch for that too.
- microwave popcorn - no nutritive value, microwave kills whatever there was, corn turns to sugar quickly - if buttered is high bad fats too. stick with your peas for snack or raw almonds or carrots for crunch.

I'm looking for some healthy ideas for spices. Help?

pretty much ANY spice or herb is healthy. I have tonnes of spices including:

- cumin
- coriander
- cinnamon
- curry powder
- dried chili pepper flakes
- fresh black pepper corns
- turmeric
- rosemary
- thyme
- parsely
- cilantro
- sage
- basil
- oregano
- garam masala
- lemongrass
- chinse 5 spice powder
- cardamom
- ginger
- dill
- dried mustard
- mustard seeds
- savory
- margoram
- cayenne pepper
- chives
- nutmeg
- cajun spices
- Spike
- stevia

I often also buy fresh herbs like: mint, basil, parsely, cilantro

I also use: Braggs amino (liquid soy), apple cider vinegar, Udo's oil, olive oil, sesame oil, chili paste, hot sauce (Louisiana), lemon/lime juice (fresh squeezed when I have them).
Darlene - coach@bestbodycleanse.com
http://www.bestbodycleanse.com

heaviest 137 lbs (was a lot my 5'0" frame, size 10-11)
most fat 38%?
current 105 lbs - body fat 22%
goal - tone more, hit 15%, maintain optimal weight
photogirl67

Re: The Healthy Pantry.

Postby Michele on Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:48 pm

I am not at home right now to look in my pantry but I can recall a few things by heart.

Red River Hot Cereal (cracked wheat, cracked rye, flax - cracked and whole)
slow cook oatmeal
Red lentils
Green lentils
Quinoa
Brown Rice
Red Rice (I think it is called sweet rice)
chick peas
organic soy milk
almond butter
canned tuna in water
Sunrider food products
almonds

ummm...I am sure there is more but c.a.n.t think of off the top of my head.
-=Michele
6.0 - current morning urine pH level ----- 5.5 original morning urine pH level
Michele

Return to Nutrition