silenthill wrote:1. Add just one fruit or veggie serving daily. Get comfortable with that, then add an extra serving until you reach 8 to 10 a day.
good idea - baby steps are always good.
2. Eat at least two servings of a fruit or veggie at every meal.
you should have more veggies on your plate % wise than anything else - and white potatoes do NOT count.
3. Resolve never to supersize your food portions—unless you want to supersize your clothes.
not true - it is more important WHAT you eat than how much IF you are eating the right things. Supersize yourself with heaps of green leafy veggies, beans, legumes, fruits and other veggies. Skip the sauces, condiments, cheese, dressings, etc. If you ate 6 plates of just broccoli every day I guarantee you will not only be full but you will not gain weight.
4. Make eating purposeful, not mindless. Whenever you put food in your mouth, peel it, unwrap it, plate it, and sit. Engage all of the senses in the pleasure of nourishing your body.
sure, good idea
5. Start eating a big breakfast. It helps you eat fewer total calories throughout the day.
again - what's in the BIG breakfast? If it's sausages, fried eggs and white toast with butter - scrap that. If it's a whole grain meal like Bob Red Mills 8 grain cereal (not cereal out of a box, and NO milk) then yes eat big. I repeat - it's what you eat that's important. Most breakfast meals are low in nutrition and don't do you much good except to cause a sugar rush, then crash a couple hours later which have you reaching for sweets, coffee, etc.
As for why to eat breakfast - it is because overnight your body is digesting and resting. If you do NOT feed it in the morning it thinks you are starving and doesn't know when food will be coming next - so it STORES everything it processed as FAT to be used when needed. It SLOWS down your metabolism to a grinding halt. Eating breakfast takes all that away and increased your metabolism. I have a friend that has only just started eating breakfast and 3 other times a day - (she was only eating once) - and drinking more water, and she's already lost like 8 lbs.
6. Make sure your plate is half veggies and/or fruit at both lunch and dinner.
more veggies than fruit and more like 75% veggies, 25% else.