Beginner Dumbbell Routine Book Ideas

Exercise is a critical part of any successful weight loss program. Discuss your favorite exercise methods or progams here.

Beginner Dumbbell Routine Book Ideas

Postby Rob on Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:32 am

so, lets say I was to write a book about this.

what would you want to see in it? My trainer and I have had this idea for awhile but I need some ideas regarding the challenges.

I would like to have it's main focus on people who are over 300 pounds lets say. So, for the larger person who is just starting.

Help me to remember what it was like exactly:

Lets assume that this book would be for a person training at home, but would transpose over to people who go to the gym

What Equipment would someone need to do this from home? what challenges are there? Wheel chair? mobility? etc

Equipment: Dumbells, stability ball, resistance bands.
Rob, BTDT, Forum Admin, Author of Fat Loss Fundamentals | Follow me on Twitter
I recommend this Nutritional Cleansing and Fat Burning System for optimal health and longevity.
Rob
Site Admin

Re: Beginner Dumbbell Routine Book Ideas

Postby awthorn on Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:41 pm

Express the importance of form over how much your lifting!!! I don't know weather this is an idea or i dunno but its defiantly something that should be in a book about weight training...
Keep on Truckin' !!!
Soon to lose a shit load of weight!!

Using the Natural Hormone Enhancement eating plan (pimped by Rob), aka the kick the fats ass plan...
awthorn

Postby Blush on Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:44 pm

good call...good call.

Proper form when working with weights is extremely important to reduce the risk of injury
Don't push yourself to the limits...Push yourself past them
Blush

Postby Rob on Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:04 pm

awthorn wrote:Express the importance of form over how much your lifting!!!

Yep, that's a given. THat's the main message of all my fitness, bodybuilding articles.

Thanks
I recommend this Nutritional Cleansing and Fat Burning System for optimal health and longevity.
Rob
Site Admin

Postby WV Mel on Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:54 pm

I got this info from another site. I hope it is ok to share it here.

THE ROUTINE

Begin your routine with a simple warmup. This is easily accomplished by riding a stationary bike for 10 minutes at a very moderate pace.

The purpose is not to get a cardio workout here … you are only trying to warm up the heart for the activity ahead, and to get blood flowing through the body at a faster rate. Feel free to alternate the stationary bike with the treadmill, rower, or any other aerobic activity.

The following basic routine is designed for a beginner. It trains the entire body in each workout. You will be doing one exercise per bodypart, for one set of 12 to 15 repetitions using a relatively light weight.

Never start an exercise (especially one that you are unfamiliar with) with poundages that overstress the muscles and make a movement diffucult to perform.

Naturally, all beginners will vary in age and strength levels, so I cannot recommend any starting poundages that would be ideal for all. However, I have listed some approximate weights for the average male and female. Use more or less than my suggestions based on how you feel they apply to your own physical condition.

The three-times-per-week (on alternating days) training schedule will prevent overtraining. It looks something like this:

- Chest Press (dumbbells): 12 reps … men = 25 lb. dumbbells; women = 15 lb. dumbbells

- Barbell Squat: 15 reps … men = 75 lbs.; women = 40 lbs.

- Seated Row: 15 reps … men = 60 lbs.; women = 30 lbs.

- Prone Hyperextension (back extension): 15 reps … men and women use bodyweight only

- Seated Shoulder Press (dumbbells): 12 reps … men = 20 lb. dumbbells; women = 10 lb. dumbbells

- Standing Calf Raise: 15 reps … men = 50 lbs; women = 30 lbs.

- Lying Leg Curl: 12 reps … men = 50 lbs.; women = 30 lbs.

- Barbell Curl: 12 reps … men = 40 lbs.; women = 20 lbs.

- Lying Triceps Extension (dumbbells): 12 reps … men = 15 lb. dumbbells; women = 8 lb. dumbbells

- Lying Leg Raises: 15 reps … men and women use bodyweight only

Cardio Work: Some form of cardiovascular exercise should be performed for 20 to 30 minutes three times per week.

Beginners should strive to perform all exercises in perfect style—that is, lift the weight slowly and under complete control. Do not swing or heave the weight up, bounce, jerk, or otherwise employ momentum.

Use full range movements with slow and controlled style. You have to learn proper form and technique in these beginning stages to work your muscles through their full range of motion (ROM).

POINTS TO REMEMBER

Follow this routine for a minimum of 4 weeks, but you can use it up to 3 months if needed.

Rest for 60 to 90 seconds between sets.

Keep a training journal and record all weights, sets, and reps. Try to beat your previous workout.

Remember to keep you exercises basic and simple, especially in the beginning.

Always emphasize proper form over heavier weight, but increase weight or reps, or both when possible.

If fat loss is your goal, try doing your cardio work first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. If that is not possible, perform it after your weight training.

DO NOT overdo it!

As time goes on, and you become more experienced, you may opt for an advanced 5 day per week routine. It is important that you do no more than 5 sets per bodypart, and keep your rep range between 6 and 12.
Highest weight 375
Restart 7/31/06 at 337
Current weight 251
Goal weight 170

124 pounds released

http://www.myspace.com/wvmel
WV Mel

Postby photogirl67 on Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:55 am

Hi there

That "beginner" routine has very heavy starting weights for women. 20 lbs bicep curls is tough - I can barely get through 3 sets with 15 lbs. And I've been doing this for a year. No - start much lower I'd say. Biceps like 8lbs or so.

Seated row - how do you do that? Does it give directions for the exercises? I've done rows but not seated. and 30 lbs is a lot for that too I think.

Triceps lying - start with 5 I'd say.

Take them all lower - and see how you do. These numbers are very high to start.
Darlene - coach@bestbodycleanse.com
http://www.bestbodycleanse.com

heaviest 137 lbs (was a lot my 5'0" frame, size 10-11)
most fat 38%?
current 105 lbs - body fat 22%
goal - tone more, hit 15%, maintain optimal weight
photogirl67

Postby WV Mel on Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:17 pm

Thank you. I will modify my numbers.

Here is the link for the seated rows. http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Bac ... edRow.html

I am still in the process of trying to take all the information in.

Melissa
Highest weight 375
Restart 7/31/06 at 337
Current weight 251
Goal weight 170

124 pounds released

WV Mel

Postby Rob on Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:45 pm

WV Mel wrote:I got this info from another site. I hope it is ok to share it here.

THE ROUTINE

---snip ---

The three-times-per-week (on alternating days) training schedule will prevent overtraining. It looks something like this:

- Chest Press (dumbbells): 12 reps … men = 25 lb. dumbbells; women = 15 lb. dumbbells

- Barbell Squat: 15 reps … men = 75 lbs.; women = 40 lbs.

- Seated Row: 15 reps … men = 60 lbs.; women = 30 lbs.

- Prone Hyperextension (back extension): 15 reps … men and women use bodyweight only

- Seated Shoulder Press (dumbbells): 12 reps … men = 20 lb. dumbbells; women = 10 lb. dumbbells

- Standing Calf Raise: 15 reps … men = 50 lbs; women = 30 lbs.

- Lying Leg Curl: 12 reps … men = 50 lbs.; women = 30 lbs.

- Barbell Curl: 12 reps … men = 40 lbs.; women = 20 lbs.

- Lying Triceps Extension (dumbbells): 12 reps … men = 15 lb. dumbbells; women = 8 lb. dumbbells

- Lying Leg Raises: 15 reps … men and women use bodyweight only

-- snip --

Nope.. .Keep it to 10 reps max. That's it.. no more. no 12, no 15, no 25.

TEN reps. That's it.

Weight.. as heavy or light as it takes to get 10 reps. Simple. No more, no less

start with 5 or 8 pounds. If you can do 11 reps.. it's too light. go heavier until you can only do 10 reps. That's the perfect weight. 9 reps is ok and 8 reps is ok too, but more than 10 is not

after a week, 2 weeks, a month, whatever... when you can do 11 reps... it's too light.. add more weight.

this is to be easy... nothing to calculate... baby steps

Pick one or two exercises per body part and stick with them for 6 weeks, then change your program

... and MEL, I'm not saying your wrong and I'm not saying the program is wrong.. I have a plan here. I have a bigger picture in mind. Thank you for the posts and thank you for participating and thank you for involving yourself in the discussion. I have nothing but praise and appreciation for everyone. This one thing thought... I have a plan. Didn't someone famous say that?

There is NO way I could personally answer every question. That would not be impossible, but highly improbable. Therefore, I fully love and appreciate each of you supporting one another and I thank you all for that. Please do not misunderstand.

thank you, thank you, thank you
Rob
Site Admin

Postby WV Mel on Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:20 am

Thanks Rob!

I appreciate all information. I am so just starting to learn what to do and what not to do. The info I posted was given as a beginners exercise routine on another forum. Truly as a beginner I had no idea whether it was realistic or not.

I totally understand what you and darlene and the others are trying to teach me here. It is so less complicated. I truly thank you all for that.

I definiately will stick around and participate in as much as I can. As I find or learn new ideas I will want to share and hopefully be able to get great input from all my friends here.

See you around!

Melissa :cheer
Highest weight 375
Restart 7/31/06 at 337
Current weight 251
Goal weight 170

124 pounds released

WV Mel

Postby Angela on Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:59 am

Good morning Rob. I am a senior, weigh 260 pounds and unfortunatly my muscles have deteriorated after years of being confined to bed rest. Is it too late to retran these muscles to be strong enough to carry me. I purchased a ball and understand that I need dumbells for dummies. I'll be looking forward to your instructions. :benchpress
Angela

Next

Return to Weight Loss Through Exercise and Fitness